Keitaro's study abroad experience

The end of my short study abroad experience (日本語は下)

It was a short two week period, but I am really happy that I chose to study at IH San Diego.  I was able to learn things in class and do things after class at activities and in my homestay that I never would have gotten to experience in Japan. During my stay in the melting pot of cultures that is America, I was able to communicate with people from many different countries and learn many new things.  I was amazed at others who were much younger than me, yet thinking about their future and had really impressive English ability.  In class, we played games and used the textbook to try and do our best to speak English.  Answers from other students that I never would have thought of made me even more motivated.



On the day that I started, a group of many Taiwanese students started as well. I was a bit worried about mixing with this group at first, but I soon found that everyone was so nice and welcoming that it was easy for me to adapt. Thanks to them I was able to have a really good time together at places like Universal Studios in Los Angeles and Pacific Beach in San Diego. During activities through casual conversation with other students, I was able to learn about what they were thinking and exchange opinions while also improving my English. It was a valuable experience.



For me personally, the tour we took of the San Diego Padres home baseball stadium Petco Park was the most fun activity. Unfortunately it wasn’t during the season so we weren’t able to see the normal beautiful grass on the field, but we were able to go places that you normally wouldn’t be able to go like the player’s training area and the press core room. It was really a worthwhile trip. I would love to come back and see a real Major League Baseball game when they are in season.

I only spent two weeks in San Diego, but the climate was extremely pleasant. During my stay, it didn’t even rain once and was quite comfortable. As for the food, of course I had some hamburgers, but also because San Diego is so close to Mexico, the tacos were quite delicious as well. There are a plenty of delicious hamburger restaurants in San Diego, and although I wasn’t able to go to every single one, I am satisfied with the number of restaurants that I was able to visit during my time here :)

My homestay family was also very thoughtful and offered me meals that were similar to Japanese food which made me feel at home. Without staying in a homestay in San Diego, I wouldn’t have been able to learn certain things about the way American people live on an everyday basis.

Finally, I’d like to thank the IH San Diego teachers, staff, Japanese staff - Ayaka-san, my host family, and the other IH San Diego students for taking care of me. I’d love to return to San Diego at some time in the future.



今回の短期留学を終えて


2週間という短い期間ではあったが、IHサンディエゴに来ることを選んで本当に良かったと思っている。IHでの授業はもちろん授業後のアクティビティやホームステイをすることによって自分自身日本では体験できないことができ多くのことを学ぶことができた。アメリカという人種の坩堝の国に行くことによって、様々な国の人とコミュニケーションを交わし、得るものが多かった。自分よりもずっと年が低いのに将来のことについてしっかり考えていたり、英語を話すのが上手だったりと驚かされることが多かった。授業では先生がゲームや教材を用いて積極的に話すことができた為ためになった。自分が思いもしなかった答えを発言する生徒が多くいて随所で自分への刺激になった。


私が入学した日にたくさんの台湾の高校の留学生が来ていて、授業後のアクティビティなどでその輪に溶け込めるか心配であったが、皆優しく接してくれてすぐになじむことができてありがたかった。ロサンゼルスのユニバーサルスタジオやパシフィックビーチなどに行っても、彼らのお陰でとても楽しい思いをさせてもらい感謝している。このアクティビティの中でのなにげない会話の中でも英語の会話の勉強ができたり、台湾の人々が普段どんなことを考えているかなど意見交換もでき貴重な体験となった。


個人的にサンディエゴパドレスのホーム球場であるペトコパークツアーが一番楽しかった。生憎シーズン中ではなく外野にはってあるだろうきれいな芝生は改装中のため見ることは叶わなかったが、普段入れないであろう選手のトレーニング場や報道陣専用の部屋に入ることができとても有意義な時間を過ごすことができた。今度サンディゴに来る際にはぜひシーズン中にきてMLBの試合を生で見てみたい。


私はサンディエゴで2週間生活したわけだが、気候はとても過ごしやすく、滞在中は雨も一回も降らなくとても快適であった。食事に関してはハンバーガはもちろんのこと、ザンディエゴがメキシコに近いこともありタコスがとてもおいしかった。何件も美味しいハンバーガー屋さんがサンディエゴにはあり、全部はいけなかったが滞在中紹介されたほとんどのお店に行くことができて満足している笑


ホームステイ先でも日本人である私を気遣ってくれてか日本食に近いものを夕食に提供してくれて助かった。今回サンディエゴ在住の方のお宅でホームステイさせてもらったわけだが、住んでみないとわからないアメリカの人々の生活を知りうることができたと思う。

最後になるが、今回お世話になった,IHサンデイエゴの先生、スタッフの方、日本人スタッフであるあやかさん、私を受け入れてくれたホストファミリーとIHの生徒の人たちにとても感謝している。またいつかサンディエゴの地に帰ってきたいと思っている。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miho's time at IH San Diego!

Chiaki's IH San Diego Experience August 21 - Sept. 15

Yuki Sato's experience at IH